Tuesday, August 12, 2014

3 tips for getting healthy on a budget

Being healthy is important without our health we can face many difficulties in our day to day living.   One thing I have been doing to keep healthy is exercise for several years and slowly changing bad dietary habits. A few months ago I made the decision to train for a half marathon.  I decided to share my journey with my Facebook friends to hopefully get them motivated to a healthier lifestyle. It may make a better life for them.

One thing I have noticed is how there are many things that are offered to help with weight loss and living healthier. These things can cost lots of money.  Here are 3 tips that I  have followed to keep it within a budget and not break the bank.

1)  Look for groups in your community that are coordinated  through a church , library or other organization for example in our area we have running groups that gather and it is very little cost, many times these events are free to the public.  Our local library has a walking club which is free to patrons of a community.  Be creative get a group of friends together and go for a bike ride or a walk.  Keep it consistent.  Also in the winter months there are free memberships  available in some local communities to their school gyms and pools check out your local communities. Also sign up for a 5K or other race they are available in walks or runs.  It is a great way to help donate to an organization that you are passionate about.  Be careful some 5K's or other races are not run by non-profit organizations.  I always like to support organizations that help others whenever possible and are non-profit.    Make a copy of registration form with your check and keep it for your records and keep it for tax time.  This is a good way to make a difference and get healthy at the same time.

2)  Eating Healthy does not have to cost a lot. One thing I have found extremely beneficial to healthy eating is shopping local at farmers markets, visiting locally owned produce stand or shop or local farms. There is a good choice of produce and very reasonably priced.  I also always try to buy what is in season.    Also one thing I have done is visit local health food stores for more healthy snack options.   Many times they offer items in bulk which can save you some money.   Cutting out sugary drinks, artificial sweeteners, cookies, candy, cake, salty snacks etc... will also save you a good deal of money and will help you feel better.

3)  Clothing and accessories are always a big expense.  Buy at sales.  One local store will send discount % cards and also have a sale that coincides with the discount  this is how I purchase my running/walking shoes.  Shop at the end of the season.  Also for birthday or holiday put sporting good gift cards on your list.   Always look for sales this will save you.   It does not have to cost a lot.  Also one thing that has been a great investment is my GPS watch these can be a little expensive but well worth it, shop sales, check online outlets like eBay.

These are very general.  My hope is that more and more people join in on a healthy lifestyle.  Since I have been putting my  journey out there my hope it will help at least one person to live healthier and know that it can be done on a budget and that they can also have a support system surrounding them.   It may save them from diseases that are brought on by weight and an unhealthy lifestyle.   Set the goal. journal and find a support system it can be the best thing that you do for yourself.  You can do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment